Adventures in Paris: A Day of Travel and Rain

Bright and early this morning we unfortunately had to leave the beautiful city of London. We boarded the coach at approximately 7 am so we could catch our international train on time. We took a Eurostar which went underneath water for a portion of the journey.

Paris is one hour ahead of London so I am currently six hours ahead of my normal Eastern Time Zone. It’s really weird to be halfway through my day and my family is just starting theirs.

In total, the train ride took about two and a half hours. It took us underground and once we hit the French mainland, we went through the countryside until we reached Paris Nord Station. Here we met up with a guide who was going to get us to the coach and our hotel.

Walking into the hotel with 27 people and all of our luggage was quite the struggle. The lobby is really small. Actually most things in Paris are smaller. There is also only one elevator and it’s pretty small so we took the stairs to our room.

Once we dropped our stuff off, we had to meet back downstairs so we could catch a late lunch. Here I tried onion soup for the first time and it was okay. I also had plenty of bread because it was delicious. Lunch was great overall, but I’m not sure how much of it, if any, was Parisian.

I also tried pears for the first time and let me tell you, I am not a fan. I did like the small scoop of ice cream that was served with it though.

Post lunch we met our tour guide back at the hotel where we picked up whisperers. These are devices that allow a tour guide to speak into a microphone and with headphones the rest of the group can hear what they are saying. It allows for larger groups to not take up as much space on sidewalks and in busy places.

Our tour guide showed us around the fifth arrondissement (district) of Paris, which is where we are staying. It was mainly showing us pharmacy shops and local cafes and restaurants to eat at. We also saw some of the touristy areas like Notre Dame. The inside is so beautiful. We didn’t spend a lot of time inside so I cannot wait to go back and look everything in there.

We were also taught some history of the area. For example, a lot of the buildings in the area are from the medieval ages, which means the fifth district is really, really old. However, I like this because it gives the area character and being from the Midwest I don’t get to see buildings like this often.

Our arrival in Paris was pretty windy and wet too. The walk was difficult at times because I was trying to listen to our guide but my umbrella was flying everywhere becasue of how windy it is. I’m thinking about investing in a poncho for the sake of not having to worry about carrying around an umbrella.

After the tour was over, we made our way back to the hotel. Clare and I stayed in our room for a bit before dinner becasue we are both very tired from the journey. We went to get dinner around seven. We went to a crepe place and it was so good. Mine had apples and a glaze that I don’t remember. It also came with ice cream which was really good. I will definitely be eating a lot of crepes this week because they’re cheap, quick and delicious as well.

After dinner we made our way back to the hotel to relax for the rest of the night. We plan on doing a lot of exploring the next few days so we’re resting now so we can do everything else later.

Tomorrow we will start our day at Montmarte and Sacre Coure and we will get the afternoon to do things on our own.

Let the Paris adventures begin!

Published by

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s